Saturday, March 23, 2013

Week 9: The End of the Beginning

I am officially done with my last week of student teaching at my high school placement.  I don't think it has completely sunken in yet that I won't be back on Monday... This placement has been so amazing and I've learned so much, I cried like a baby yesterday after school was over.

This week was pretty eventful.  Monday Erica had to leave school because her contact ripped in half right before school started.  I took over warm ups for Women's Choir and passed the baton to her when she got back.  I felt like a real teacher and like I finally know what's going on that I can just pick up the class and fill in when needed.  Rehearsal was still tough, but I think that partially had to do with my low energy level.  I was pretty sad on Monday thinking about this being my last week, and I think the kids read it on my face.

Tuesday we had a lockdown during Concert Choir.  No warning, just a loud announcement on the loudspeaker to lock your doors and shut off the lights.  I had a feeling that it was a drill, but I also didn't want to not take it seriously.  The kids didn't seem too worried, as they were talking and giggling in the dark.  Sure enough, it was a drill (praise God!).  At lunch with the other teachers later that day, another teacher told us that her student teacher was nearly hyperventilating and she had to do more to calm him down than the students!  So glad I wasn't like that!  It was interesting though to see how this school takes care of emergencies.

Wednesday was the Composer's Forum after school for IB Music students who have to write compositions for class.  It was absolutely astonishing what these kids came up with.  One student in particular is really interested in digital music (he's going to Oshkosh for it!  Woot!) and he wrote two pieces on Mixcraft 5 that were amazing.  The notation looked crazy because it's not like normal music with notes and such, it is more like a graph as to which instruments are happening where, volume levels, etc.  He said he had worked 90 hours on these pieces.  I can't think of a single thing that I have focused on for 90 hours!!  I was so impressed with the compositions they wrote and I couldn't help but feel inspired to write myself.  Now to just find the time...

Thursday was my last day with Treble and Concert Choirs.  I sang alongside the students as a final farewell, and at the end of rehearsal I had them fill out some evaluations that I created for my own personal growth.  They gave me a card that apparently had been passed around for the past week among all of the choirs (I had no idea it was even happening!).  It was filled with at least 5 pages of signatures and notes from the students.  I immediately started crying.  I was so touched and sad to be leaving.  I still haven't gotten through the whole card reading the comments!

Friday was a wonderful yet hard day.  I did evaluations in Women's and Men's choirs, and I performed a rap that I wrote for Men's choir.  I've attached it to the blog if you want to check it out!  They loved it, and I answered questions about college and life in general.  The Chamber Choir kids brought tacos (authentic too, not the "dump the seasoning in the beef" kind!) and we celebrated and took funny pictures.  They all looked ridiculous because they had decided they were all going to dress like Mexican thugs for one of the student's birthdays.  It was a great last way to see them, with their hair all done up and heavy lipstick and gangsta shoes!  After school, I had a bunch of students waiting for me in Erica's room to say a final goodbye.  I snapped a couple more pictures, and packed up my things.  I didn't start bawling until I was alone in the classroom.  It hit me like a wave that it was all over.  It had gone by so fast, and I learned sooo much, but I didn't want it to really be over.  I've made such deep connections with these students, and I don't want to lose that!  Erica hugged me tight as I cried.  I know she and I will stay in touch and be good friends, but its hard to not know when I will see the students again... possibly not until their concert in April.

Though I'm sad that this placement is over, I am excited to check out Elementary school life.  I don't have much experience in this realm besides the time spent in my mom's classroom.  Alissa, my next cooperating teacher, gave me music yesterday to start working on for my first week.  I'm glad to hear she wants to throw me in right away instead of having me observe for a whole week.  That will make the week go by faster.  They are doing School House Rock, Jr. right now, so I've got some music and dialogue to learn!

Now, I'm going to enjoy my spring break!  Time spent in Oshkosh, time spent with my family and friends... It's going to be good!  To tie you over until my next blog post, here's my Men's Choir Rap!! :)


1 comment:

  1. This is stinkin' adorable. I loved it SO much, and I bet they did too :)

    ReplyDelete