Saturday, April 13, 2013

Week 1: Welcome to Catholic School!

Hello again!  It has been a while since I've posted, and it is because I had a glorious two weeks of spring break!  I spent my time hanging out with my family and catching up with friends in Oshkosh.  It was so relaxing, and after feeling stressed for 9 weeks, it was exactly what I needed.

This week began my second placement at a Catholic school.  I was raised Catholic, but as I grew into my own faith, much of my Catholic upbringing was quickly forgotten.  I've never been to a Christian school, but I've always wondered what it would be like.  Let me tell you, there is something truly wonderful about prayer in the middle of the day.  Knowing that God is allowed to be part of the school day put me at ease immediately.  My new cooperating teacher, Alissa, has been so welcoming.  I knew we'd be a good fit when she turned to me on my second day and said, "Is there anything I can pray for you about?"  We sat right there at her desk and took time to pray!  This is a dream, especially since this would never be permissible in a public school (understandably so).

The school is about 350 students, 4K-8.  We see the 4K-4th graders twice per week, and the 6-8th graders once a week.  Let me tell you, going from an hour and a half block class to a thirty minute class is no easy transition!  Everything is so fast paced compared to high school, but luckily I have more prep disbursed throughout the day to break it up.  The little ones are so adorable, they just want to make you happy.

I was relieved to be thrown right into the mix on Monday, as opposed to an entire week of observation as the University encourages.  I think I would have been bored.  Alissa was more than happy to throw things my way immediately to get me involved and getting to know the kids.  It made for quicker days, and even though I was nervous at first, by the end of the week, I was excited to jump in.  I got to do some warm ups, test kids on recorders, and lead little hello songs.  It was a nice introduction to the class.  I had forgotten all of the cute things I had learned in Elementary Methods, but I was surprised (and grateful) at how quickly they came back.  There are just so many fun activities to do with these little ones, but I needed a lot of energy!

The most interesting part of my first week was Mass on Wednesday.  The church is beautiful, and the priest seems really nice.  All of the kids attend Mass together as well as some community members.  Each week, there are students who do all of the music for the Mass, led by Alissa.  It seems like a great opportunity for leadership and performance.  I was counting on my Catholic upbringing in this setting to help me blend in with the congregation, but was immediately revealed as an outsider when I realized the Catholic Church had reverted to a different response that aligns more with the original Greek.  Needless to say, I fumbled over my words regularly and probably looked like a joke to the little boy in the boy scout uniform next to me.

Speaking of uniforms, they are enforced at this school.  The students don't seem to mind them too much, which I would have thought middle schoolers would loathe the idea of dressing alike each day.  They seem ok with it though, so the system works.  The teachers have also been so warm and welcoming to me, and by the end of the first day, I think almost all of them knew my name.  It made me feel very at home right away.

Prayer request: I have two job interviews next week, so please be praying for me to prepare myself for these interviews.  Please pray that I would represent Christ and myself well as I try to find the best fit for me.  It is such a blessing to have two interviews, and I really feel that God has opened these doors for me.

Thank you so much for your continued prayers and support, and I will keep you in the loop as to how my interviews go!

No comments:

Post a Comment