Saturday, March 9, 2013

Week 7: Go Big or Go Home

Howdy friends!  This week was jam packed, but really great.  I went to the MPS job fair on Saturday where nearly 1,000 people showed up to job hunt.  There were 136 MPS schools represented by tables and principals, but only 4 music positions posted and available.  I was warned that there wouldn't be many positions posted because they can only post full time jobs to outside applicants, but I was still expecting more than 4!  I made a good connection with a high school principal looking for a music teacher on the North side of town, and she sent me to get an interview with HR.  I waited in line for about a half hour, and the interview was probably the most intense thing I have been through in a long time.  I really got the vibe that she didn't like me and that it didn't go well, but then at the end she was really nice, so I got some mixed signals.  HR in MPS is really swamped, especially since they had more than 1,000 people just show up on Saturday, so I'm not really sure what my next step is for the district.  Each individual school with an open position will be having information sessions within the next few weeks that may or may not become informal interviews depending on the turnout.  I went to one of these sessions at an elementary school on the South side, and the principal really seemed to like me.  I hope to get an interview with them sometime soon, but again, all of this is so new to me, I'm not too sure what to do!  I have an information session with the high school I met at the fair on Tuesday of next week, so I'll keep you posted how that one goes.  If you have any advice, feel free to send it my way!

Monday began my second full week of rehearsals, although it felt like the first due to our snow day last week and not having school last Monday.  My pacing has gotten a lot better, which I'm proud of, but I let Women's choir get to me Monday and Wednesday.  Some of them just get under my skin, and they know it, but I don't know how to hide that they're getting to me.  Men's choir is always a joy for me though, and considering they come right after Women's choir, they are a much needed energy.

I got observed twice this week, Tuesday being the first, and the block before the observation in Treble choir, I got the girls so excited about their progress on their Baroque piece that they were literally screaming by the end of rehearsal.  My supervisor walked in just as the excitement was peaking, which I really appreciated because it set me up nicely for the next rehearsal.  The time with Concert choir went well, and I felt like I made some serious progress in some of their pieces.

Wednesday was a hard day.  Women's choir was the worst that it had been in a while.  I was rehearsing part of one of their pieces and they just weren't getting it and time was running out, so I wanted to leave the piece on a successful note.  I went back and had them sing a part they already knew and then put it away, and one girl raised her hand and shouted, "Why did we just learn what we did if we aren't going to do it?!"  I was so caught off guard, I paused, which I'm sure made her feel like she won.  I just calmly said, "I know your part is easy in that section, but the second soprano's part is really hard, and I didn't want to just leave it like that."  Not the most eloquent thing to say, and I'm not sure how else I could have recovered, but I was so frustrated and upset with myself afterward that I needed to take a lap before Men's choir came in.  They always cheer me up, but it was still hard to shake the feeling of failure for the rest of the day.

Observation #2 was Thursday, this time in my Music Appreciation class.  I scheduled two observations in one week just trying to get them out of the way, but it ended up just stressing me out more than usual.  I was observed in my special ed section of the class too, so I really had to be on my game.  During second block with Concert choir, I started to get a migraine.  I felt awful by 11.  Erica told me to call my supervisor and reschedule and go home, and I felt so nauseous that I agreed.  I called, but no answer.  It was noon and she was coming at 1:30, so I had little time to get over this wave of nausea.  I just kept telling myself, "Suck it up, Robertson!  Go big or go home!  It's an hour and half then you're done!!"  By 6th block, I was feeling ok enough to teach.  It went really well- so well that my supervisor just started interviewing my co-op in the middle of my lesson!  At the end, she just said, "When you're good, you're good!"  I was so relieved.  I celebrated by watching Everybody Loves Raymond when I got home... Yeah, I'm exciting.

Friday was the best day of the week.  Women's choir and I finally overcame some of our trust issues and we got a lot done.  I felt more respected and successful, which made Men's choir an absolute blast. It was a much needed day after the highs and pitfalls of the week.  I drove up to Oshkosh and am in town for the weekend.  I am so grateful for this getaway.

Now I'm on the downward slope for this placement.  Next week, I'm back to half rehearsals and the week after I'll be phased out, and then I'm half way done!  It is going so fast!!  It feels so good to know that I've made it through the hardest parts of this placement and the next weeks will be more relaxed.  I'll be really sad to leave this placement, though.  The connections that I've made with students and staff are strong, and it will be really hard to say goodbye.  I don't want to think about it now.  Keep checking in on me, and I'll keep you in the loop!  Thanks for the encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment