Saturday, June 1, 2013

Week 8: Phasing Out

Hello again, all!  Another week of student teaching done, and now I'm just counting down the days until summer vacation.  Seven more school days!  It has been killing me to see everyone around me getting out of school already... like the family I live with, the kids had their last day yesterday.  Lots of others have next Friday as their last day.  My last day?  Tuesday, June 11th.  I know it's only two more days, but it feels so much longer, especially when you know everyone else is already done!!

Well, despite the fact that I'm antsy for the end, this week was a pretty good one.  We obviously had Monday off for Memorial Day, which made this week really short.  I am beginning to phase out and give classes back to Alissa, and it is nice to be able to take a deep breath and relax.  I just feel like I've been non-stop for 17 weeks, and to slowly be relieved of responsibility is nice.  I still taught Kindergarten and 4K though, which tend to be my two most difficult classes to teach.  I would be teaching an hour and a half per day and still come home just as wiped as if I'd taught the entire day.  I really am realizing that God knows me better than I do, because he knew I'd be better suited for a high school job before I did!  They're still really fun and cute, but they wear me out!! 

Since Alissa has done most of the teaching this week, I focused on all of the little paperwork tasks that the University requires me to do in order to officially graduate; I worked on my portfolio a lot, wrote a reflective essay, finished my evaluations... I was still pretty productive.  I feel like as we draw to a close, there just isn't as much to do (for me, for Alissa, she has plenty of end-of-the-year stuff!) because I'm not wrapping up classes.  I wonder what will fill my time next week...

On Wednesday, I got a true taste of what my neighborhood is really like.  I have been pretty naïve about where I live, mostly because the last time I lived there, I was on summer project and everything seems rosy... and the fact that I moved in in January, where no one really wants to be outside unless they have to shovel their car out.  There was a big fight on our block between a bunch of teen kids- lots of yelling, running up and down the streets, and eventually pulling hair out of each others heads.  It was scary, and I wasn't sure what to do.  I was babysitting the kids at that time, and I had never seen anything like it.  Was it something worthy of calling the cops?  I asked Sarah later, and she said yes, call the cops.  It can escalate really quickly.  I also found out from Kara (another Cru staff person) that there have been gunshots in the neighborhood before that she has called about... I truly didn't know my neighborhood was like that.  She said it is mainly in the summertime because everyone hangs out outside, so I am relieved that I'm moving back to Columbus for the summer to teach summer school.

On Friday, we had our school picnic.  All of the teachers were speculating all week whether we would have it moved from the park to the school because of the bad weather that was coming, and sure enough, Friday morning we got word that the picnic would be at school.  Many of the teachers were bummed, and I was a little too, but it ended up being a really big hit.  It didn't rain at all, and it was actually pretty sunny and hot.  The kids had all different kinds of things to do: face paint, nail painting, hair gel and color stations, basketball, mini golf, blow up bounce houses, bowling, volleyball, kickball, tricycle races, and even more that I can't remember.  The whole school just had a free-for-all day.  I got a pretty good sunburn that looks ridiculous because my keys were hanging around my neck... but other than that, it was a good day.  I was exhausted by the end, even though I don't feel like I did anything but walk around and supervise!

This weekend, I'm visiting family and babysitting my niece.  She gets cuter and cuter every time I see her!  Next week is my last full week of school with graduation on Friday.  Then just two more days!!  Student teaching is almost over... Crazy!!  Thanks for catching up!

No comments:

Post a Comment