Saturday, June 8, 2013

Week 9: 8th Grade Week and Graduation

Bonjour!!  Almost done with student teaching.  TWO. MORE. DAYS.  I am not looking forward to these two days, simply because all of the grades have been entered and the kids will be squirrely as all get out.  I'm also not looking forward to my last day with Alissa, because after that, we're going to have to work a lot harder to see each other... and we WILL see each other!! :)

This week has been a huge winding-down week for everyone.  This week has been all about 8th grade in every way.  The entire week, they didn't have to wear their uniforms and the teachers were not allowed to issue any demerits.  8th grade graduation is a deal around this school.  Everything caters to it, and though it is a special time considering these students had been here since they were 4 years old, I still think it was way overboard.  They went to six-flags, cleaned out their lockers, watched movies, and their grades were already in before the week started.  The week was truly a wash for them.  They also don't have to come to these last two days of school, which is a nice perk, but highlights the fact that we're all here an extra two days.

Monday was slow and relaxing.  I didn't do any teaching because this is my "drop out and go back to normal" week.  Honestly, I can't even remember what I did on Monday because I know it was so insignificant!

Tuesday I taught 4K, but that was it.  In all of the classes, they had their last class period be a "show off day" where they got to show the class any talents they have, or a day to sing their favorite songs they learned throughout the year.  This was probably my favorite day of 4K.  It was fast paced, almost no behavior problems or tears, and it was fun to remember all of the songs we had done.  I'll miss those little ones, but I'm glad I got a high school job!

Wednesday we really got to work packing up the classroom.  My cooperating teacher is moving classrooms next year and they are getting a bunch of structural work done to the school over the summer.  All of the teachers need to pack up their entire classroom and put it in a POD for the summer, and then unpack it in the fall.  I know, crazy amounts of work for the end of the year!  I also worked with 5th grade and their show-off day, and we all did the cupid shuffle together.  It was a blast!

Thursday the 8th graders had their luncheon.  It is basically just a catered-in lunch for them where they get all dressed up and eat in the gym instead of the cafeteria.  They only come to school for the luncheon, then go home.  Alissa passed out gifts to the kids in 8th grade who had been in choir before the luncheon, then we all got to go down and eat with them.  It was nice, but the dress code was clearly defied in some of the dresses these girls were wearing.  It was also cute to see them trying to walk gracefully in their 3+ inch heels... They probably should have taken them for a test drive before that day!

Friday was the big day- graduation.  We had mass that was all about 8th grade, then an 8th grade awards ceremony to follow.  They were in red graduation gowns and everything.  After mass, they got to go home again until their ceremony.  We did a couple more show off days, then after school, Alissa went with me to sign for an apartment and get a haircut.  We came back to school about 6:30 when the ceremony started, and it went until about ten to 8.  It had speakers, awards, slideshows, and the 8th grade class sang two songs.  I know I had a lot for my 8th grade graduation, but I definitely didn't get school shut down for a week!!  It was out of control, in my opinion.

So, two more days!  Two days of packing, goodbyes, and show-off days!  I'm so excited and finally ready to start settling in Milwaukee after a summer at home thanks to this new apartment.  I'm so excited to move in there!  Thanks for your continued prayers, support, and readership.  Maybe I'll continue this as I begin my first year...  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment