Thursday, May 23, 2013

Week 7: The Spring Program

Hello again everyone!  This blog post is coming early due to the Memorial Day weekend, and since this week is short, you'd think it would be less hectic... No sir!  The spring program has dominated our time and has kept me busy!

On Monday, I had my marathon teaching day with 4th grade (recorders), 3rd grade (solfege unit), and 2nd grade (sixteenth note unit).  Once all of these classes were done, I put my head down on my desk to regain a little bit of sanity before moving on to the rest of the day.  It felt like I had been at school for 7 hours already and it was only 11:20!  In the afternoon, we had a school-wide rehearsal for the spring program.  To be frank, the rehearsal went terribly.  The kids were really hot on stage and had trouble focusing, and it was the first time with a lot of our props.  Alissa and I looked at each other at the end of the rehearsal and swallowed hard.  We were truly starting to worry that this wasn't going to go well.

Tuesday was the big day of the spring program.  Alissa has this wonderful rule: She will not teach on the day of a show.  Probably one of the smartest things I've heard in a long time!  We spent the morning doing last minute sound things, buying new cables for ones that could use to be replaced before the show.  We had a dress rehearsal for the whole school, and it was the first time we made it through the show without any stops.  Scary!!  It went pretty well, but the 7th and 8th grade still lacked a lot of energy.  We held our breath as we went into the evening show.  Alissa and I went and got dinner and hung out before the show, and at 6:30, lights were up and we were set to go.  The show seemed like it went by so fast, and it went really well!  There weren't any mistakes, and the energy level was very high!  We were so relieved that it went well, considering the struggle it had been to get them ready.  We went up on stage afterward and the kids gave both of us flowers and said thank you for all of our hard work, which felt really nice.  I am so glad that the show went well!

Wednesday was still busy, but less than Monday and Tuesday.  I directed Mass for the first time, which was difficult considering I still don't feel like I know all of the traditions and songs, but it went alright.  The kids were gracious and forgiving when I made mistakes.  The classes were pretty chill, and in the afternoon we had a student vs staff volleyball game.  It was so much fun!  The entire school was cheering for us and we played all of the classes of students 6-8th.  I had to leave a little early though to go sign my contract with MPS as a new teacher!  I officially have a position at Ronald Reagan High School as a choir director!  I am so thrilled and I can't believe I'm a big girl now with a real job!  Thank you for all of your prayers in this department.  Afterward, Alissa and I went to celebrate with frozen yogurt.  Such a good day!

Today is the last day before the weekend, and I'm heading down to Arkansas to meet my boyfriend Jon's family.  I'm really excited, and please pray for safe travels!  Thanks for catching up with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment