Saturday, May 4, 2013

Week 4: Colds, Jobs, and Babies, Oh My!

Hello again everyone!  This week has been short, but a good week!  I can't believe that after next week I will be halfway done with my elementary placement!  This semester has flown by...

This week was a little strange starting on Sunday.  I was feeling really feverish, tired, and achey all day and layed in bed most of the afternoon.  I thought I would wake up on Monday and feel tons better, but I woke up Monday morning feeling worse than on Sunday.  I spent the day recuperating in bed, and by Monday night, I was feeling ok.  I still had a pretty difficult time waking up on Tuesday and I've had a wicked cold all week, but I powered through it.  It made this week pretty tough though!

Tuesday was the choir concert at my high school placement, so after choir practice, Alissa and I went out to dinner together and went to the concert.  I guess I can finally announce considering the high school did... At the concert, Erica called me on stage and announced me as the new choir teacher!  I got the job about two weeks ago, but I have yet to sign my contract, so I've been a little reluctant to make the announcement until I have my name on some papers.  But I figure if the principal is allowing Erica to announce it to all of the parents at the concert, I can fill you all in!  Thanks for all of your prayers!  The kids flipped out and were so excited, which made me excited for next year.  I'll be teaching Men's Choir, Women's Choir, team teaching Concert Choir, will have an audition only women's choir of my own (yet to be named), and two sections of music appreciation.  I'm so excited, and I'm so thankful for all of your prayers and support in my job hunt!  The night was amazing, and it was so fun to see all of the kids again.

Wednesday was pretty smooth, but was reflective of what Alissa and my brains are filled with: MUSICAL!  We have a lot of work to do for our musical in three weeks, and the kids are starting to feel the pressure.  We are going over musical material in class as well as after school Wednesdays and Fridays.  There are some groups that seem pretty prepared and will be absolutely fine for the performance, but there are others who are pretty disinterested and are the ones who are scaring us with their casual approach to rehearsal... Alissa did a good job of putting the show into perspective by bringing the kids out on stage to reveal exactly where their memories lie.  I got to conduct a few of the pieces, and the kids didn't seem to follow me, despite the fact that I was mouthing all of the words.  Alissa let me in on the tip that the kids don't respond to the beat pattern very well at the early stages.  I need to make big gestures for entrances, and that's about it.  Once I started doing that, they followed me immediately.  It made me wonder- when and how do you introduce the beat pattern?

Thursday, my sister went into labor, and I zipped over to Beaver Dam after school to be with her to welcome my neice into the world!  I spent all day Friday with her and my family, cooing and snuggling the new little treasure of our family.  So in reality, this week was pretty short for me.  It still felt like a long week because of my cold, but I can't believe how fast all of this is going!

Prayer requests: That my sister and baby Emery will have a good transition home from the hospital, that my paperwork from MPS for my new job will move quickly, and that I will be able to manage my stress well and put my worries on the Lord.  Next week is going to be crazy because I'm graduating next Saturday!  Ah!  I'm feeling really stressed and spread thin, but I know that the Lord will give me the strength to get through everything I need to get through.

Thanks for reading, and I'll be posting late or early next week due to graduation!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment