Hey everyone! My second week at school has gone really well. I'm feeling very comfortable in this new school, and the kids are so adorable. Alissa and I get along great, and she has been very open to letting me teach as much as I am comfortable with. She and I have also connected on a personal level as she has told me more about her life. I appreciate the wisdom she has been speaking into my life, about teaching as well as real adult life.
This week, I realized that I am still in high school mode. I caught myself trying to explain why a quarter note gets one beat using a pie example... to second graders. The idea would have gone over fine in high school, but these kids just stared at me blankly and I quickly realized the idea was over their heads. As I watched Alissa teach the 4K classes, I realized how much she actually had to break things down in order for concepts to be grasped and things to go smoothly. It would have never occurred to me to tell a 4 year old the difference between high and low notes. As I write this I feel foolish for not realizing that this is not an innate concept, but I had never taken the time to realize that it had been learned. I think this will be my biggest challenge- making sure I am breaking things down to ensure the kids get it.
We had a few drills this week, which was interesting to see. We had a fire drill on Tuesday, and we had first graders at the time. The entire building moved outside silently as the alarm went off. Then we stood in perfectly straight lines out on the playground without a word. The entire school stood silently and watched for the all-clear. I couldn't believe it. Every school I've ever been to, all of the students (no matter the age) would be chatty out on the playground, especially if they knew it was just a drill. When we were given the signal to come back in, they moved silently into the building as well. I was amazed. We had a tornado drill on Thursday, and this one was less awe-inspiring. I had one kindergarten student immediately run for the door and begin to leave. I was so surprised by his reaction that I just ran to the door and stood in front of it. He looked terrified, and I just said, "Remember what we talked about? Where should you be sitting?" He panicked as he moved to a side of the wall and tucked his head in his hands. Note to self- in crisis, kindergarteners will bolt!
I found out this week that I will be conducting a Mass on my own, which should be a good experience. I'm getting more conducting experience here than at my high school placement, which is interesting, but not surprising. I was only there for the music learning stages. I'm grateful for the practice though, because Lord knows I need it!
This week was all about jobs in my mind- I had two interviews, but only went to one. Its a long story that maybe I'll recount later, but I'll just say that the first interview went so well that I was 100% sure I shouldn't go to the second one. Both are in MPS, and sometimes in MPS if you are offered a job at more than one school, the district will just place you at whichever school they choose. I know it sounds crazy, but it happens. The first interview was my first choice school, and I feel extremely good about it. I will have an announcement for you in the next few weeks ;) Thanks for your prayers!
I don't have much else to post, simply because this week I was so focused on interviews and the MPS process that I honestly don't remember much about this week. I just have a lot of catchy little kids songs floating around in my head to represent what happened! This week flew by, and I have a feeling this placement will seem very short. My next steps in life? I will focus on getting something together for summer employment, sign up for CMP workshop, and start apartment hunting! Life is changing so much, I feel like my heart is going to burst out of my chest sometimes I am so excited. Thanks for your continued prayers, and if there are any prayer requests you'd like to send my way, I'd love to hear them! Feel free to comment or email me! heidirobertson14@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment